lansdowne126's videos on Dailymotion

Friday, November 03, 2006

"Arnie Usetah ride the BMT"(An All Souls Day Story)

The Initials BMT signified the Brooklyn Manhattan Transit Company, which operated Elevated & Subway Lines, as well as Light Rail & Bus Lines:

They operated Subway & El Lines in Brooklyn & Queens, & Subway Lines in Manhattan. The Light Rail & Bus Lines were in Brooklyn & Queens;

A kid named Arnie Auerbach used to ride these lines as a kid in the East Village, Manhattan & Williamsburgh, Brooklyn;

I was riding on the old BMT Nassau Loop Express along Broadway-Brooklyn, yesterday & passed the building where the old Eastern District HS, where Arnie played his High School Basketball. The building is now a Hasaidic Yeshiva;

Last evening, on my way up to a certain Red Sox Nation Pub, called "The Hairy Monk", I passed the PS 122 Building, @ East 9th Street & 1st Avenue, in the Wilds of The East Village by Cooper Union. The edifice is now used for theatrical purposes, but still has the facade of a NYC Public School. Arnie shot his 1st Hoops there, on the roof;

At "The Hairy Monk", I learned that Mr Ivan Spence, the Evening Manager, will be running the NYC Marathon this Sunday, to which I ate my dinner & wished him "Slainte" for good luck, on Sunday;

I headed downtown to "Professor Thom's" at East 14th Street & 2nd Avenue & had a couple of "Thom's Ales" & read the Boston Globe. I read about a big memorial ceremony at TD Banknorth Garden, @ the site of Arnie's Triumphs, which was actually the old Boston Garden at North Station. Arnie, you see, is Arnold "Red" Auerbach;

I became very teary-eyed, reading about the tribute. 16 Green Roses, each signifying the 16 Boston Celtics World Championships, & a Box of his favorite Victory Cigars, were placed in the seat which he occupied, for so many years;

The Auerbach System of Defensive Strategies, has been employed by every NBA Championship-Winning Team. They are his Legacy;

Red was 89, when he died this past Saturday. In an interview with the NY Times, from 3 Years ago, Red gave the readers a big hint as to where he really came from;
"I was All Brooklyn 2nd Team. Brooklyn had more teams & bettah Teams than in all of Indiana";

& The Borough of Brooklyn had a great son;

Requiem In Pacem, Red;

Thanks!

11 Comments:

Blogger KAYLEE said...

great story!
-kaylee

5:10 PM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Thanks, Kaylee:

In Boston, Red had a NY Sense about him;

As did Bob Cousy, a native of St. Albans, Queens.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Michael...I enjoyed that. Have a great weekend. For me it's a little tougher coming up with things to write about this early off-season. Bur I did just post a long Saturday diatribe starting out about the weather and the angle of the sun, and ending with Rocket Roger. I'm insane...but that translates into good (I hope!!) writing. Colts-Pats tomorrow. May I say WOW!!! And I have a feeling that the hot stove stuff will be amazing, mixed in with the snow and other things that are a part of everyday life. Stay well! I'll be here everyday.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Peter?

We Red Sox Nation Bloggers have a challenge ahead, this winter;

So, I figured that I'd write about Red Auerbach;

He came from Brooklyn;

So did I, for that matter;

So does "The Omnipotent Q";

& all 3 of us have ridden on the BMT Subway, now called MTA NYC Transit;

The Hot Stove should be interesting;

& Derek Jeter is OVERRATED.

10:53 AM  
Blogger KAYLEE said...

youre welcome!
-kayleee

12:15 PM  
Blogger KAYLEE said...

god cant even spell my name right this morning.
-kaylee

12:16 PM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Neither can Tim Mc Carver, Kaylee!

1:12 PM  
Blogger KAYLEE said...

haha !
-kaylee

2:21 PM  
Blogger laura said...

Remember when the players voted Jeter the most overrated player in baseball? Good times, good times..

1:16 AM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Captain Intangibles with Cap'n Slappy:

What a duo!

Jeter is a leader at blowing his own horn, & possibly, someone elses' horn.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Jeter could blow someone a kiss & promptly fall in love with his own hand.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home