lansdowne126's videos on Dailymotion

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Rhyme of The Modern Mariner(Great Software For a Writer)

To a couple of friends who are recent converts to the Macintosh platform, I bid them a hearty welcome. One of them has been on the Mac platform for over a year. I've been using Macs for nearly 2 years. I was quite-content using the Venerable application suite called Appleworks 6 since March, '04. I could convert files to Microsoft Word versions and convert text files to PDF & I would be in awe of myself.
But, I caught an adventurous spirit & began to explore other great writing software. This was courtesy of reading "Low End Mac" about word processors for Mac OS X.
I experimented. I used Nisus Writer Express, an elegant word processor, followed by Mellel, which writes in several languages & is quite-elegant, Neo Office/J, which is a true Office Suite, with spreadsheets, vector drawing, & a word processor which writes in several languages & file formats+ it has a Power Point suite. Neo Office is free & open source.
I even tried Microsoft Office on the Mac. It was interesting watching that suite use 7/10 of a gigabyte of hard drive. I can now say that I've cussed MS Word in both Windows & Mac, but with MS Word on Mac, it was a bit more fun, as it has features the Windows versions don't have yet. Even the ads for MS Office for Mac, seem to be a lot more fun than the Windows version. But, I'm still not laying out up to $499 to fill Bill Gates' pockets. MS Office is the only Mac Application Suite with an uninstall wizard, & made my Mac Experience, very Windows-Like.
I reinstalled Appleworks, this evening. I used it & hated it. After the elegance of Nisus & Mariner & the not so elegant, but very-powerful AbiWord application, which is free & open source, I de-installed Appleworks. I had de-installed Neo Office & AbiWord. A short time ago, I reinstalled AbiWord. It's a great thing that I did, because it opened up my friend's order form for his new(er) white iBook. Just yesterday, I sent a complex MS Word Document to the Mac to read it. AbiWord read it perfectly, as a Word File, formatting and all.
Tried Mariner Write one more time. I will buy it Thursday. It's an intuitive piece of software & will be my main processor for a long time to come. Text Edit can read only RTF, TXT & Word documents without anything as complex as tables (Macros). Mariner Write can create tables(Macros), so I can use the software for editing & good basic writing.
I am keeping it simple &, quite-simply, Appleworks doesn't cut it for me anymore. It was great to experiment & I love quality software without all the damn bloat code.
Click on title to go to Mariner Software & you won't be disappointed. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home