lansdowne126's videos on Dailymotion

Monday, November 26, 2007

Shea Goodbye(1964-2008)



It all started here:
The 1st M L B Game, on September 2nd, 1966, before 15,000+Fans & The Mets Lost 6-0 to The Phillies. My Yankees-Hating Days had begun & in earnest. Dad's words in regards to the $3.50 Box Seats, between 3rd & Home, were 'These Seats are expensive'. He wasn't thrilled about paying $.55 for a cup of Rheingold, either. I can say that I was in Shea, in the Pre-Seaver Era:

I was around for the Borden's Coupon Era, as well, when 15 of those things would get you into Shea Stadium, on certain days. I once saw a ballplayer, in 1967, honored by the C Y O, on an afternoon game. His 1st Name was Tom. The Year was 1967. His last name was NOT Glavine, for sure, but this Tom won over 300 Games, & dubbed "The Franchise". Yes, his name is Seaver;

For I remember watching Doubleheaders(Remember Them?) for the price of $1.30, in Upper Level. Now, prices are as high as $22, for the Interleague Series with those lost souls, who play in "The Toilet" in The Bronx, The Yankees, where such chants as "Gay Rod, Gay-Rod, Gay-Rod, Gay-Rod, Jeter's Boyfriend", are sung in Shea Stadium. Old Fenway Park Chants, such as "Jeter Swallows", are commonplace, if someone wears a Yankees Jersey with #2 on the back;

I witnessed the filming of The Triple Play Scene, for the movie, "The Odd Couple", starring Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau. It was done in one take, as Current Baseball Hall Of Famer, Bill Mazerowski of the Pittsburgh Pirates, hit into the "Triple Play." This was in June, 1967 & the Mets won that game over The Pirates;

I remember $3 Standing Room for NY Jets Games. Shea Stadium was @ its' Windiest & Coldest for those Games & you could go into the Mets Bullpen & toss a football around during those games, as there's a men's bathroom, next to the bullpen. I even got my 1st In Person look @ the NY Giants, who waited for Giants Stadium in NJ, to open. It was 1975 & the Mets shared the ballpark with the Jets, Giants & Yankees. Yankee Stadium was being renovated & would reopen in 1976. The Shea Grass was ruined by overuse in 1975;

His Holiness, Pope John Paul II, visited Shea Stadium for a Prayer Rally, in October, 1979. I was in Upper Level for that occasion;

I was in Shea Stadium for a North American Soccer League Playoff Game, in 1976 & the Great Pele', scored. So many of my Sports 1sts were at Shea Stadium;

IF you're curious about that symbol on top of this blog, it's a patch to be worn by Mets Players in the Farewell Year of Shea Stadium, in '08;

The Sad Memories by Red Sox Nation of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, still linger, but now, many Red Sox Fans, who're unable to get tickets @ Fenway Park, now make the 4 Hour trek to Mets Games @ Shea Stadium, The NYC Home of Red Sox Nation In Exile. Outside of NY Mets Caps, Boston Red Sox Caps, are visible in great #s @ Shea Stadium. I don my Red Sox Cap @ Mets Games, all the time;

& it'll be a bit teary-eyed as both Mum & Da, are gone, as they took me to that place, so I would understand that in life, you can't win everyday. That's an important lesson. Thanks to both for imparting that lesson;

Michael-RSN-NYC-Queens

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home