lansdowne126's videos on Dailymotion

Sunday, February 14, 2010

On Saint Valentine's Day, A Conversation With An Irish Born Lass

On this Sunday, I was headed to Mass at St. Agnes at East 43 Street, between Lexington & 3rd Avenues in Midtown Manhattan. I got into a conversation with an Irish Born Woman called Jackie, from Dublin. It was an interesting conversation:

The Irish do not have Corned Beef and Cabbage on St. Patrick's Day in either the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. In the Republic, it's Ham or Boiled Bacon being served. In the North, Roast Beef is the dish. As Jackie told me, corned beef and cabbage is from New York Jewish Origin. And if I want corned beef, I will enjoy it in a good Jewish Deli, on rye bread with mustard with Dr. Brown's Cream or Cel-Ray Soda, complete with either Cole Slaw or Dill Pickle, at Katz Delicatessen on the Lower East Side or in Queens at Ben's Best on Queens Blvd in Rego Park. Jackie said that the 1st time she had corned beef was here in NYC about 20 years ago. "Top O' The Morning" is also never said in Ireland. Many Irish are not fond of driving in Ireland, especially with right side wheel-left side of road.

I then departed from the M15 Bus at 2nd Avenue and East 42 Street. Jackie asked me to keep her in my prayers, which I did at Mass, offered with Gregorian Chant in the Ordinary Rite. I hope to see Jackie again.

The Pez Report

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home