lansdowne126's videos on Dailymotion

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Now Understand WHY Doris Kearns-Goodwin Couldn't Root For The Expansion NY NL Team

Doris Kearns is a Native of The Borough Of Brooklyn, like a number of people, like Mr JB Quinn and myself. She used to go with her dad to Ebbets Field, a small, cozy ballpark at Sullivan Place and Bedford Avenue, in Crown Heights, Brooklyn:

The Polo Grounds, in Upper Manhattan's Vinegar Hill, a One Time Irish Enclave, was a large, cavernous stadium, and home to the Brooklyn Dodgers Chief Rival, The NY Giants. To Brooklyn Dodgers Fans, The Polo Grounds was enemy territory;

Ebbets Field met the Wrecking Ball in February, 1960. The Polo Grounds remained standing, property of The San Francisco Giants. For 1962 and 1963, the Polo Grounds served as Home of The NY Mets. The Polo Grounds met the same wrecking ball as used on Ebbets Field, on April 10th, 1964;

Doris Kearns Goodwin could not go into enemy territory, to root for the Expansion NL Team, even if it was Anti-Yankees;

She was in school in Boston and in 1965, she watched a Red Sox Game at Fenway Park, which was built the year before Ebbets Field. At Fenway, she felt like she was at Ebbets Field all over again. In short, she felt at home, with the team, and fans who were practically the same as who she remembered in Ebbets Field;

The Red Sox were a throwback to her Beloved Brooklyn Dodgers. I think that there was this closeness, which one could not experience, either at the Polo Grounds, or at the Brand Spanking New Shea Stadium, which is currently being dismantled;

At Times, I think of Fenway Park, as The Brooklyn, I never knew. Whenever I'm on The Green Line "T", I feel as if I'm riding to The Ebbets Field, I never got to know, on a Trolley Car, I never got to ride on, anywhere in NYC, especially in Brooklyn;

Boston? You're my "Brooklyn";

Later!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home