lansdowne126's videos on Dailymotion

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

"Thanks To 2 Papis"

In the case of the 1st "Papi", he took me to my 1st MLB Game, on September 2nd, 1966, when the NY Mets "Battled" the Philadelphia Phillies, & propmtly lost 6-0, @ Shea Stadium in Corona, Queens, across the Street from the Old NY World's Fair Site @ Flushing Meadows-Corona Park:

3rd Base Line Box Seats, in Loge, were $3.50 each, for him, my brother & me, which he called "Too Expensive";
$3.50 buys you NOTHING @ an MLB Game these days;
Hence there will be many memories of that 1st Game, this Saturday @ Fenway Park in Boston, @ $45 for Infield Grandstand & a "Bleak Futures @ Fenway" Seies when the Toronto Blue Jays, face a powerless Red Sox Squad, as if reminding me of the '66 Mets;

In the case of the 2nd "Papi", David Ortiz, who like my father, is a big guy, he's being tested for heart problems & may not play this weekend, thus rendering the Red Sox powerless;

I thank Papi#1 for my love of Baseball & miss him a lot, though I may have inherited his sense of humor, hence he is near;

& to Papi#2, get well soon;
You're Missed!

Thanks!

Michael

12 Comments:

Blogger Michael Leggett said...

I am ready for Saturday Evening @ Fenway Park.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

& Manny?

Take care of those torn ligaments:

I'll miss you, too!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Let's win it, all, for Big Papi.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Beazer said...

Michael, this is a beautiful post!


I'll be at the game Saturday as well, with some of the other 'sistahs'!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I agree...some of my emotions are rubbing off! oow! Hey, for some reason I'm up to number two...have a great trip to B(oz)ton.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Section 16, Infield Grandstand, Row 3 Seat #1:

Thanks, Cyn;

I gotta meet The Sistahs.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Boston, especially Fenway, will be fun, Peter.

7:02 PM  
Blogger KAYLEE said...

Thank god for wrist surgery(not that I want it but)i have no choice.posted more about it.My lucky day is the 30th of september.
lucky day?may be a stretch but.btw nice post hope tek comes back soon
-kaylee

8:45 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I just answered your comment on PRSF (Peter's Red Sox Forever). I'm not in the "just use initials" popularity yet. Never will..they're too awkward. But you are in the Top 20! Don't ask me how they come up with the standings, but you and I both have green, upward arrows. It's fun. And I DVR'd the World Series of Poker episodes 3 and 4, of 12, and that's what I'm going to right now. Have a great trip. I'll be reading, as always.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Suldog said...

Michael:

How much do you remember of the starting line-up at that first game?

I can recall about half of the first Red Sox line-up I saw live. I mean, really recall seeing that first night at Fenway, as opposed to knowing who was on the team then and filling in my memory that way.
I vividly remember Bob Tillman catching, Lee Thomas at 1B, Frank Malzone at 3B, Dalton Jones at 2B, Yaz in LF. Lost to the Los Angeles Angels, 4 - 1. My Dad, more of a football guy than baseball, had us leave in the 8th inning. It is the only time in my life I have ever left a baseball game before the final out.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Sul:

Ron Hunt was at 2B, Bud Harrelson @ SS, Ed Kranepool @ 1st Base, Jerry Grote was Catcher, Cleon Jones was CF, Ron Swoboda was RF;
Jack Fisher was Pitcher;
jack Hamilton was in relief & Pop left in bottom of 7th with Mets down 6-0;

Only 15K on a Friday Night, common then but uncommon now!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Michael Leggett said...

It was hamilton, in '67, who hit Tony C. in the face with a pitch;

Horrifically Unfortunate!

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home